What I miss most about Louisiana is the sense of community I felt there. What I miss is exactly what compelled Chef Nina Compton to move there. Since arriving she’s opened multiple restaurants and has achieved every imaginable accolade including a James Beard award, the title of Best New Chef from Food & Wine and was listed as one of America’s Best Restaurants by Eater. Nothing could stop that momentum…except for a global pandemic. Today we discuss the long road ahead and the need to come together as a community if we’re going to make it out of this alive.
Click to sign up for our weekly newsletter.
Click here to book time on my personal calendar.
Click here to download our Restaurant Recovery Guide.
Want to streamline your front-of-house operations and increase sales? Head over to http://restaurants.yelp.com/fullcomppodcast to claim your free page and learn more about these powerful tools for your business.
- Is reopening possible?
- Restaurants will be different
- Dining etiquette will be different
- Cons of pivoting to delivery
- Low check average
- Not ordering beverages
- Not ordering appetizers
- Goal is to break even for the next year
- Making profit is probably not realistic for a while
- Keep doors open until things bounce back
- Wondering whether to change careers
- Who would be hiring now?
- Some days there is hope that everything will be okay
- Some days considering getting a 9-5 job
- As an owner, you are emotionally invested in the restaurant
- Restaurant as a reflection of self
- Supply chain is counting on us
- Wine producers
- Communicating the realities of the restaurant ecosystem
- Not a lucrative business
- Low return on high workload
- People take for granted that plates, food, labor etc costs money
- The danger of raising prices
- Not wanting to turn away customers
- “Meals are about moments, memories, and those who surround you at your table.”
- What does this look like post-pandemic?
- People want restaurants to come back
- Food is very comforting and people need comfort
- The lead up to closing
- Trying to keep guests and staff safe
- Hand sanitizer
- Single-use menus
- Spacing tables
- Reopening strategy
- Keys to success